Each year, there are about 30,000 people who are diagnosed with oral cancer, making it on the top six of the most common cancer in the world. Although the condition can be fatal, the fact that it causes death to almost 8,000 people every year, you can still do something about it.
Anyone, including a child or adult, can get oral cancer. But those who smoke tobacco or cigarettes and consume an excessive amount of alcohol are more prone to accumulate the condition. Despite oral cancer being popular to persons with the age of 50 and above, younger people are also possible to acquire it due to human papillomavirus or HPV.
Oral cancer, if not spotted and treated early, can spread thereby making one experience chronic pain, loss of function, oral and facial impairment, and worse, death. Oral Cancer Screening with us at Hilltop Dental Studio can help detect oral cancer in its earliest stage. We provide different examinations for accurate diagnosis.
Oral Cancer: Warning Signs
Did you know that aside from the help of a dental professional, you can also perform a self-examination to check any symptoms and warning signs of oral cancer? However, if you encounter these following issues, contact us at Hilltop Dental Studio immediately:
- Soreness and swelling for two weeks or longer
- Lumps growing around the mouth or in the neck areas
- Noticeable red and white dots or patches in the lips and mouth
- Constant or repeated bleeding from the throat
Why Get an Oral Cancer Screening?
The life-threatening oral cancer is undeniably scary. To protect yourself from the devastating disease, have it checked. Here are the reasons why an oral cancer screening must be your priority.
- The procedure is simple and not painful. All you have to do is to ask your dentist during the regular dental check-up to have you screened for oral cancer.
- Oral cancer screening can save your life if it is done early.
- There are no extra expenses needed to undergo the procedure because the regular dental check-up usually incorporates it unless you are required to have a follow-up treatment.
There is a high chance of surviving from oral cancer if it is detected and treated in its earliest form. For those who haven’t experienced any symptoms, it is still recommended to have a screening to be sure. After all, it is better to be safe than sorry.
For inquiries about Oral Cancer Screening in Spotsylvania, VA, call us. You can also visit us at 10466 Georgetown Dr. Spotsylvania, VA 22553.